Thursday, November 22, 2007

Pausing to Give Thanks

A simple list of what I'm thankful for:

1. My wonderful, loving husband (still so new it's weird to write that word, but nice :-) John.

2. An amazingly supportive and caring family. I am also very thankful to have my parents so close by (especially after them being far away in England for four years). Developing a relationship with my parents as an adult has been such a rewarding journey, I count my parents as two of my best friends.

3. A small group of close friends that I know I can count on. It's so much fun to see our lives unfolding before us.

4. Stumbling upon a path that led to veganism. Though I'd been a "flexitarian" through most of high school and never a huge meat eater, somehow I picked up Fast Food Nation and several books later, found myself giving up animal products for good. It has made me a better person, more compassionate, patient, and understanding.

5. Discovering the vegan blog world. Before finding Vegan Lunch Box (the first blog I read)and discovering all of your amazing blogs, I felt pretty alone as far as veganism goes. But now I feel like I have a huge network of vegan friends (yes, that's you!). I have learned so much from all of you and your kind words and support have meant a lot.

There's really a lot to be thankful for. Hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving! I'm still full...

11 comments:

Unknown said...

I am thankful for:
finding out about Veg Noodle's blog.

Kayla said...

I'm thankful for this post, because it reminds me that, if I wasn't vegan, my life wouldn't be filled with wonderful people from the blog world like you. Thank you.

And I'm still full, too. But that won't keep me from the leftovers :)

Lori- the Pleasantly Plump Vegan said...

lovely!

bazu said...

Happy thanksgiving to you, too! Love your list...

Anonymous said...

Interesting that Fast Food Nation was what started you down this path. I guess it's been a pretty well known book so hopefully it's had that effect on many other people too.

And I'm thankful for all the wonderful vegans (like you) out there in blog-land too!

the little one said...

It is a nice exercise to think about what we're grateful for. I'm afraid people don't do that enough any more.

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

there's a lot to be thankful for, indeed - I hope you had an incredible Thanksgiving, Amanda!! :0)

Anonymous said...

what a sweet post! i'm thankful to discover your blog, too!!

Sheree' said...

Happy Thanksgiving a bit late. Mine was a rough one this year, but I too am thankful for all my blogland buddies. Everyone brings such joy to this world. Thank you for the reminder to be thankful even during the hard times. :o)

Ashasarala said...

It's great to appreciate these kinds of things in our lives. People call them the 'little things', but I consider them the BIGGEST things! Family, good friends and a conscious lifestyle is a perfect recipe for happiness. All the other stuff are just toys!

vko said...

Am also thankful for our vegan blog world & for your lovely blog too!

That's so interesting- Fast Food Nation led me to be vegetarian and everything just followed after.

Wonder how many vegans eventually came to be with Fast Food Nation?