Saturday, November 17, 2007

Lemon Light

This afternoon I did some experimentation with light, photography, and food. I have been trying to follow along with an online photography course and this week's assignment had the student use some simple objects to play with lighting. My objects of choice were a white styrofoam block, a mirror, a box covered with an emergency blanket (, and some black and white foam core board. My subject was a few Meyer lemons that I picked up at the farmer's market this morning (yay, it's citrus time!). Here are a few of my photos....

1. Just regular sunlight.
2. Reflective box on right side. Notice the brightening of the greens on the right underside of the lemons.
3. Reflective source on both sides. This one brings out the greens on both sides of the lemons.
4. Black background. This one was my favorite of the photos.
5. White background, plus a reflective source on the right side.
I have learned a lot about my little point and shoot camera (Canon powershot SD550) from this class, and discovered some cool settings. Certainly part of Vegan MoFo is the way in which we showcase our vegan food to the world, and nice pictures help!

Other farmer's market buys this morning: green onions, zucchini (benefits of living in the south!), baby bok choy, plum tomatoes, and mixed greens. Now what to do with these Meyer lemons... I'm thinking lemon bars!

9 comments:

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

I like the black background best, too :o). And lemon bars sound lovely! Lovely lemons...

Isn't this Texas weather weird?! It was 81 here today!

the little one said...

That's some serious pro photography there. Very impressive!

Lori- the Pleasantly Plump Vegan said...

very nice!

Anna said...

Wow, this was cool to see! Thanks for sharing. I'd love to learn more about photography, esp about lighting. The bad lighting in my kitchen at night is one of my pet peeves for blog-photos.

Anonymous said...

Nice photos! I definitely want to check out that online photography course.

Kayla said...

Your photos look great! I've been trying to learn more about digital photography. My camera picks up alot of red, and the lighting in my house is pretty dim so my pictures don't always come out the way I would like. I recently found a tutorial on the PPK for a DIY light-box. Sounds really cool and fun. I'll try it someday.
http://www.jyoseph.com/blog/detail.cfm/post/18

bazu said...

How fun- and educational! I could always use some lessons on how to take better photos- especially in the dark winter interior situations that I'm finding myself in these days! I love your black background shot the best, too.

Ashasarala said...

That's exactly what I need. Granted, my camera is not the best out there, but I need to learn a lot more about lighting and angles. And then I need to get myself a decent camera with a wide angle lense.

You should update with more of these. I can learn so much just be looking at them. :)

Emilie said...

very cool! I'm always wanting to compare light and backdrops...this is a great reference cheat sheet to think about how things look against different backdrops. the course looks very cool--i hope to look into it a little more soon.