Wednesday, January 2, 2008

363 ... , 364, .... 365 Black-Eyed Peas!

Well.... almost, at least between the two of us we ate enough black-eyed peas last night to bring us good luck for everyday in 2008. Growing up I remember my mom making black-eyed peas every New Year's Day, but I never ate a one until today (amazing that I got where I am today with no luck!). Plus, I got started right away with one of my resolutions and had some leafy greens with dinner. Here are the BBQ Black-Eyed Peas from V-con.

The recipe calls for collard greens, but we decided on swiss chard instead. I also added three strips of sauteed tempeh bacon, and was lazy and used store-bought bbq sauce (a Texas brand of course). One little problem though... I got fresh black-eyed peas from the store. Having never used them, I thought they were ready to go like the canned variety. But when I tasted the crunchiness when I opened the bag and snuck a taste, I was quite surprised. So I added some water to the bbq sauce and let the peas, mushrooms, and chard simmer for about 40 minutes. I actually think it made the bbq flavor soak into the beans more than the original recipe might have, and with good results. I stuffed the pea mixture into a steamed chard leaf and rolled it up as a wrap, then had some just plain on the side. This was good stuff. I will certainly be fixing black-eyed peas before Jan. 1, 2009!

21 comments:

Traci Anne said...

This. Sounds. DELICIOUS. I've got to get my paws on Vcon, seeing as how pretty much every blog I've discovered in the past week has referenced it a bunch!

And of course, which barbecue sauce do you use? I'm partial to my dad's homemade sauce, but I'll substitute Stubb's :)

Anke said...

Hi amanda,

this foto looks absolutely delicious. Seems like I will have to get V-con, too.

Off topic: I've been wondering for a long time what's this in tiny tiny print written above your blogs title?

And some promoting here: As of today I got my own blog. So if you wanna visit it: http://veganbounty.blogspot.com/

MeloMeals said...

Looks delicious! I had my black eyed peas and green on New Years day too.. I'm going to post it later..

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Mmm barbecue black-eyed-peas sound and look wonderful... I had b-e-ps for New Year's too, but mine were kinda boring. Oh well, hopefully they'll still have given me good luck!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

ahhh what a FANTASTIC looking, traditional Southern dish - I love swiss chard (any and all leafy greens, really) and black-eyed peas, so I'm quite excited to see that a lot of bloggers made this dish/combination for New Year's!!

Wishing you the best in 2008, Amanda!! :0)

Carolann said...

Is that why we eat black eyed peas every New Years. I had no idea until today and have been eating them for years lol! Beans look delish! I'm going to have to give it a go!

Tamara said...

YUM! I made black eyed peas myself for the first time recently and enjoyed them - it was some kind of Indian dish from Alternative Vegan but the hubs doesn't care for Indian spices so I'll have to try BEPs this way to entice him to try them. :-)

Dori said...

BBQ black eyed peas and greens, looks delish. I think that only someone from Texas would dream up a BBQ a black eyed pea though, however me from the Midwest will give it a try.

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

I recently bought Black Eyed Peas, it sounds like I'll have to make them now!

Ruby Red said...

I haven't ever tried black-eyed peas either! But how could they not taste good with bbq sauce?! Yum.

Yay for sticking to your leafy greens resolution! Those babies have lotsa calcium :)

Traci Anne said...

Oo! I meant to tell you, I'd LOVE that cheeze-steak recipe! If you'd prefer email, I'm at yellowcupcake@gmail.com :) Thank you so much!

Lizzy said...

Looks great! I can't believe someone who lives in Texas never had black eyed peas! I love them!

Hope you have a lucky new years!

vko said...

oh, yum yum yum. Definitely going to check that one out in Vcon! I am such a sucker for good luck foods in the new year- I try to eat as much as I can, so black eyed peas for me please!

Ashasarala said...

Black-eyed peas are delicious, but whenever I hear the name, I think of Fergie (lord help me! LoL).

I only buy my beans and other legumes un-cooked. Leaving them in canned water scares me a bit. Then again, I buy canned tomato sauce, so who am I to talk!

aTxVegn said...

Yummeee, those look great! I gotta go check out that recipe right now!

Happy New Year!

Lori- the Pleasantly Plump Vegan said...

holy hot damn girl! what a lovely dish!

Anonymous said...

Yum... your post inspired me to get some black-eyed peas today (I'm a little late to the game). Not sure what I'll do with them yet though. Happy New Year to you as well!

Sheree' said...

Oh my goodness! Your plate looks like Heaven. I have to try this recipe. Guess I better start saving my pennies for my copy of Vcon!

urban vegan said...

Everyone is cooking with black-eyed peas lately--and no ownder. They're so yummy.

Anonymous said...

yum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bazu said...

I'm a bit late leaving this comment, but I just have to chime in and say happy new year!

And, I LOVE black-eyed peas... they are a definite staple in our house. I didn't get to eat them on Jan. 1, but I got around to them on Jan. 4- I hope it still counts!