Tuesday, January 15, 2008

New Toy In Spring Green

I've been busy setting up my new computer, so dinner last night was pretty simple. I made the fail-proof quinoa salad with black beans and mango and the chile cornmeal crusted tofu, both from V-con. The quinoa turned out perfectly (though I had to cook up a second batch because I forgot it on the burner for 25 minutes, very stincky), I added extra cilantro and used rice vinegar in place of the red wine vinegar. I baked the tofu instead of frying to be a bit healthier. Next time I will make some kind of sauce to go with it, but alas, I didn't plan ahead very well this time. As Isa and Terry suggested in the recipe, I snuggled up with a copy of the latest Herbivore magazine (travel issue) and dreamed of biking to the vegan mini-mall in Portland, walking to the Vegetarian Dim Sum House in NYC, taking a street car to Millienium in San Francisco, or biting into a Mighty-O in Seattle (which I may do soon, planning on visiting my sis during VegFest weekend).

I've also been munching on spiced sweet potato chips a lot lately. They are delicately spiced with cumin, cilantro, and garlic. Even though they are fairly high in calories, they pack a punch of Vitamin A.
And here's a peak at my new laptop in spring green (I think I was more excited about this than the 600 some odd GB of storage), with a lovely message plastered on the side (get yours at Herbivore). Now if I pull this out at the local coffee shop, everyone will know just how cool I am.

21 comments:

Leigh said...

Ooh, pretty new laptop!

Tracy said...

Nice laptop with a message! That salad looks yummy and healthy. I always use a kitchen timer because I have a bad habit of completely forgetting about whatever it was that I put on the stove to cook.

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

very cool laptop and I must get that book!

Tamara said...

Ooh, thanks for the heads-up about VegFest Seattle... I wonder if I can convince my husband to go?

Lori- the Pleasantly Plump Vegan said...

cool computer! i love that shade of green.

Traci Anne said...

Well. Clearly I need to go to this veggie dim sum place!! Also, I LOVE your laptop!! I want one in pink :)

Cakespy said...

Green for your laptop, green for life! Dude, the quinoa looks fabulous too. You're such an artist!

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

I love the green laptop; very cute! We love Quinoa around here, I need to make that salad! We're not big mango fans, could take it or leave it, but I'm sure we can sub with something fun!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the new laptop!! Nice sticker. =) That is an insane amount of storage. I'm very jealous!

Ashasarala said...

How do you get your quinoa so that black beans won't turn them all black? It happened to me last time and I couldn't figure it out. Maybe I didn't drain it enough? Oh, well. It still tasted super!

That laptop is the coolest. I want one just because of the color even though I already have a regular black one. LoL I have to stop being greedy!

Ruby Red said...

Pretty new computer, pretty new sticker! You will be the bomb at the coffee shop, smartly drinking your soy latte (or whatever you get, haha).

Poo! You're making me really sorry that I didn't have cilantro when I made the V-Con quinoa salad. It looks like you made the perfect meal, though, with your perfectly adorned scoop of quinoa salad and cornmeal crusted tofu. Yum.

And I don't think I thanked you yet for the link to the tahini French toast recipe! Thank you! I'm going to try it - I love French toast, so it's perfect, and it got great reviews on vegweb.

Kayla said...

What a lovely meal. I can't wait to make that tofu! I wish I could go to Vegfest this year. But I will probably be in San Fran, not that that is anything to complain about. Heh. What kind of laptop did you get, by the way? I'm looking in to buying a new one.

Anonymous said...

gorgeous computer. i love those chips....can't be around a bag or I'll eat the whole thing.

Unknown said...

I so do covet your laptop!

Anke said...

congrats on your new computer, they are always sooo much fun :-)

Don't Get Mad, Get Vegan! said...

that's the same laptop I've been eyeing lately, in the same color! tho your sticker makes your super cool. ;)

your quinoa looks yummy, too!

Anonymous said...

You sure do know how to cookup something fast. Very nice laptop am thinking of getting one myself some time this year.

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Awesome new laptop! Ooh and I'm so excited for you that you get to go to Seattle and maybe try one of those famous Mighty-O doughnuts.

Spiral Diner Dallas was supposed to open up in December, but the latest I've heard is that they're hoping to be up-and-running *soon* (whatever that means). I will definitely keep you updated when I hear something more... I SO would love to meet up with you there one day soon!!!

Elaine Vigneault said...

That sticker is great!

the little one said...

My new phone I got yesterday is the same color as your new computer! Funny. Awesome sticker.

TB said...

cute laptop!