Sunday, January 27, 2008

So Wishing That Sunday Wasn't Almost Over Pie

Yep, that's the new name for this pie, also known as the smlove pie from Veganomicon. Tonight we watched Waitress (one who makes awesome pies based on her current life drama) on dvd and in preparation, I was inspired to make a pie (but not the crust, it's straight out of the freezer). The heart doily (sp?) underneath is courtesy of my talented sister-in-law.

Here's an up-close shot just to get your mouth watering. The verdict? We both loved this pie. Not sure if it was the type of chocolate I used (El Rey 70-something percent cocao), but the chocolate filling itself wasn't terribly sweet, which allowed you to fully enjoy the peanut butter caramel, maple pecans, and chocolate drizzle on top. If you aren't so crazy about no-so-sweet chocolate, maybe using a different chocolate would be better, but this suited us just fine (and went along perfect with the movie:-)

For dinner tonight, another V-con special, the red lentil and cauliflower curry. I changed it up a bit and subbed red pepper for parsnip, added a can of fire-roasted tomatoes, and a big handful of chopped kale (can you tell I've kept my resolution about eating more greens?). Very filling and this made enough to feed us for the next few days I'm thinking.

And earlier in the week I covered new territory, something I had hoped to do back during Vegan MoFo (November), but never got around to it. I finally tried Soy Curls! After seeing DGMGV show us so many tasty and easy way to eat these, I dove in head first. After rehydrating these for just ten minutes, I browned them and added a healthy Texas serving of BBQ sauce. Add some black beans with sauteed onion, garlic, kale, and plenty of chipotle peppers in adobe sauce, and you've got yourself a meal! I ordered 6 more bags of these from Food Fight the very next day.

Okay, time to go face reality. I think I need another piece of pie....

29 comments:

Don't Get Mad, Get Vegan! said...

"I ordered 6 more bags of these from Food Fight the very next day'

this made me laugh out loud. why? because I'm constantly ordering more wondering when I'm gonna give in and just buy the BIG bag. ;)

so glad you enjoyed them. your beans sound soooo yummy!

Traci Anne said...

Oo oo oo, I wanna try soy curls!! Also, man oh man, I love pie. My family's apple pie is already vegan if you substitute Earth Balance and raw sugar! DELICIOUS.

Jenni (aka Vegyogini) said...

Did you not enjoy "Waitress?" I really liked that movie. Your Smlove pie is gorgeous and I can tell that a lot of love went into making it. :)

Anonymous said...

I wish I had your patience to make that pie. Everytime I see someone post an image of their smlove pie, I just want to devour it!

n/a said...

The curry and the pie look so good! I liked the soy curls, too, but I got out of control and ate them every day for about 2 weeks.

julie hasson said...

That pie and the BBQ Soy Curls, yummy!

I had Soy Curls and gravy for dinner. They're so versatile. I'll have to try them with the BBQ sauce. Thanks for the suggestion.

Anke said...

This pie looks awesome. I'm a big fan of not-so-sweet dark chocolate as well so this picture sure made my mouth water...

Lori- the Pleasantly Plump Vegan said...

nice job with the pie! and the soy curls look great. i really, really want to try those.

Anonymous said...

The pie looks absolutely gorgeous!
And I adore its name, too!

We should have a whole So Wishing that Sunday Wasn't Almost Over menu!

Cakespy said...

You're in trouble Miss Vegan Noodle. I have been obsessed with pie lately, and just when I think it's done you come along with this pie. Now, I will have sweet dreams. ;-)

Ashasarala said...

First thought that came to mind? 'Ooooooh'. That pie looks utterly sinful. I had no idea that was hiding away in the dessert section of V-con. You have created a monster!

If you're getting into eating more greens, you should check out my blog. The soup on my latest entry is filled with every green in creation. If you do make something like it, however, I would suggest you use a lot of seasonings.

What are soy curls? Are they anything like no-name chicken or are they completely different?

bazu said...

holy crap, that pie! wow! I always get depressed on Sunday evenings, too, especially in the winter, when "evening" starts at 4 p.m....

J said...

Those soy curls are really intriguing me...

Great job on your Kale!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Oh my goodness, that close-up picture could not be any more drool-worthy!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

haha I think we posted on each others' blogs at the exact same time!

Yes, you are very studly hehe ;o)

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

haha, I LOVE the new name you came up with, for that decadent Smlove Pie; and your Veganomicon-themed dinner looks delicious as well!! unfortunately, the new week is year - can't wait until the weekend already!! haha.

Anonymous said...

Nice pie! Looks deliciously decadent, as per usual.

I've been dying to try soy curls but am wary of ordering food online... Just because I already pay so much for food as it is. But they do look and sound really tasty!

Judy said...

I forgot about the movie Waitress, I wanted to see it in the summer but never got a chance. I think I will rent it this week.

That pie looks soooooo good.

Judy said...

Oh, and the Cauliflower curry - that might be my fave recipe out of VCon yet.

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

I found the chocolate portion of Smlove not-too-sweet either. My sweet tooth actually wished it was sweeter! haha.

I love that curry, so yummy!

MeloMeals said...

God, that pie looks to die for. I've never had soy curls.. I've TVP chunks, which I hate... so I'm not sure I'd like the soy curls?

aTxVegn said...

I hope I'll have time to make that pie someday because it looks and sounds like heaven. The cauliflower lentil curry is on my list to make too.

Nice job on the bbq soy curls!

Lizzy said...

Now you've inspired me to make a pie and watch Waitress!!!

I still don't have that book though, so I'll have to find something else.

I've never heard of soy curls before either.. so I'm heading over to Food Fight. Right. Now.

Jenni (aka Vegyogini) said...

Oh, good, I was sad when I thought you didn't enjoy the movie! ;)

Tracy said...

That is some kick-ass pie! I've never tried it, but man, it sounds sweet enough to rot your teeth. And at the risk of sounding like a dummy, what the heck are soy curls?

Ruthie said...

I thought Waitress was pretty good. I just kept yelling at her "Leave your stupid husband, lady!" I did enjoy the pie scenes though... :)

Ruby Red said...

i love waitress! it put me in the mood to make pie after i watched it, and i bought a new pie tin and everything and never ended up making one. no-so-sweet chocolate rocks my world! and so does the picture of your pie. pree-tty.

okay, you've definitely got my attention with your "soy curls" business. they look so delicious, and must have been delicious with bbq sauce!!

Emilie said...

that pie is hott!!

TB said...

I think I'm making that pie tomorrow! Your picture is so beautiful!!!