Thursday, February 14, 2008

The Results Are In

1473.5 lentils!! And the winner is the little one with her guess of 1400 lentils! And yes, I did count every last one myself (even the half) and it only took about 20 minutes. And because I was asked about statistics... I whipped out my fancy Vista version of excel and created yall a histogram showing the results. As you can see, there was a bit of a spread, but most people were in the 600-1600 range. The average guess was 1068, not too far off.


And because I didn't just want to give out just one prize, I did some random number generating to pick 5 others to get a small prize, the numbers correspond to the order guesses were sent in (or at least the order they are in for my excel spreadsheet! if you take the time and find a discrepancy, i'll send you a prize too)

So that would be ashasarala, lk, veggiegirl, animal-friendly (who coincidentally was the second closest), and chocolate covered vegan. And while I'm at it, I'll also send something to the low and high guess.... vegetalion and ruby red vegan. If you all send me your mailing address to aiellison26 at yahoo dot com, you will get a little something in the mail! I would send something to everyone if I had the time/money! It was great to see so many people comment, made me feel lots of love and helped me get over this....

And to end the post, a bit of a sad story. This chocolate molten cake kind of broke my heart this Valentine's Day....

It was supposed to be molten in the middle but it wasn't (no oozing going on in this photo) and the cake just plain didn't taste good. Maybe I let the batter sit too long? Maybe cook it less? Don't know what went wrong but I'm kinda sad about it. But I think it definitely deserves another shot!! (after all, it's a cake with veggies in it!)

Okay, bad to end a valentine's post on a sad note.... all I have to do is think of all the wonderful people in my life that I care for and things seem so much better :-)

28 comments:

Ashasarala said...

YAY! I'm so excited! I actually won something (even if it was by random). ;) I can't wait to get my little prize. :) I'll email you right now.

And don't feel bad about the cake. I, personally, have so many mistakes when I bake. It's rare something comes out perfectly. Baking is just an art on it's own. For what it's worth, I would prolly still gobble the cake up!

Jenni (aka Vegyogini) said...

Aw, it's still a pretty cake, even if it's a broken heart.

the little one said...

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah! I'm a WINNER! Thanks Vegan_Noodle! You're the best!

Anonymous said...

Aw, how disappointing... About your cake and how I didn't win! Ah well, congrats to all the winners, and many thanks for hosting this fun guessing game!

Anonymous said...

Hi Vegan Noodle,
So sorry to hear the cake didn't work out! I've found it is a fairly fussy one. If the filling isn't completely covered by the batter before baking, it tends to get absorbed a bit by the cake. But it does look very pretty--love the heart shape. And thanks for giving it a try :).

Rachael said...

aw, I find your blog right AFTER the mint chocolate contest closes...that's sad. But I love your blog. Sorry about the cake..those molten cakes can be temperamental, I've found.

Mansi said...

no one would ahve guessed that the cake was hard looking at the picture:) it looks beautiful!

Tracy said...

It's sad that your cake broke, but it does look artistic! And darn, I missed the contest too.

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

I win a prize?! I'm so excited; I hardly ever win anything! Haha I rarely even ever won in Bingo when we would play in elementary school!

I'll send you an email :o)

Too bad about the chocolate cake, but at least you can say you had a very creative Valentine's Day dessert-- I bet no one else hd a broken heart cake for Valentine's Day!

Anonymous said...

Wow! I had no idea there were that many. I was way off. Congratulations to everyone who won!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

is that VeggieGirl I see listed??? I won something??? hooray!!! :0D

aww, never fear about that cake - I think it's cute and very "anti-Valentine's Day" (which is funny, haha) - I'd eat it!! :0) perhaps you'd be interested in trying the recipe I posted a link to, on my blog? the Martha Stewart vegan cake recipe? It's amazing!

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Aww, little broken heart!

Ruby Red said...

eeheehehe! i am quite gleeful now! it pays to be wrong sometimes. :) and your statistics charts are too funny.

sorry about the cake. poo on that. maybe the problem was the recipe, not you!!! i hope you didn't feel too deprived on v-day and found another yummy dessert to munch on!

Ruby Red said...

i just e-mailed you! have a good night! :)

TB said...

Your cake looks beautiful, anyway, and I'm so sad I missed the online door prize, but I love seeing how you generated the winners ;)

MeloMeals said...

Too bad the cake was a disappointment...

aTxVegn said...

Oh that broken heart cake does look sad. I hope you'll try it again.

Lori- the Pleasantly Plump Vegan said...

i thought i guessed way to high or way to low. oh well. i suck at guessing at stuff like this.
i think yr cake looks tasty, even if it didn't do whatcha wanted.

Jess said...

It's always so disappointing when a dish doesn't turn out as planned... But for what it's worth, it looks super-cute, and I love how you say it "kind of broke [your] heart." So perfect with the photo!

Theresa said...

Wow, my guess was so far off! I've never been good at those games!

Too bad the cake didn't turn out for you... I wondered how spinach and zucchini would go in a cake. Zucchini I can see, because it tastes good in sweets like zucchini bread, but spinach... Well, I'm a bit sceptical, but I'd still like to give it a try!

Jackie said...

Congrats to the winners, thank goodness I didn't try as I would have guessed about 500 LOL

Sorry to hear the cake wasn't perfect. Maybe you could make a great trifle with it (how I use my mishaps).

Sarah P said...

wow, not only the low, but completely wrong. Thanks for the doorprize - you're such a sweetheart (pun intended b/c of the cake)! I love that your cake is a broken heart... at least it looks good, even if it didn't come out right...

Sheree' said...

Wow, I was gone so long I missed out on the contest. Rats! Anyway, I am sorry that your cake was a bummer. I too would give it a try.:o) Thanks for visiting Brandie's blog. She doesn't have too many visitors so I am sure it makes her happy. Oh, I saw her yesterday and her little baby bump is beginning to grow. So exciting! She let me try and feel for a kick or something, but nothing. Kinda a good thing, if the baby would have moved I would have been a crying mess. :o) Sappy Grandma.

Animal-Friendly said...

Wow- I won! I just emailed you my mailing address and I'm super excited, so thank you!

Too bad about your cake, though :( It looks like it cooked a little too long, but don't take my word for it. I hope you try it again with better success!

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

Well it looked pretty, but it is always a bit disappointing when that happens, isn't it?
I have nominated you for an Excellent Blog Award, Amanda, so come over and collect it!

jeanette said...

Well, dang! I can't believe I missed the contest! I'm an ace at guessing stuff.

Anonymous said...

Hi - I'm sorry about your cake. May I introduce you to The Post Punk Kitchen: all vegan, and with a pretty darned good chocolate Chocolate Bomb Pudding Cake. I mean, it's chocolate, right? Can't not "try, try, and try again..."

Good luck.

LK Sisters said...

Thanks Amanda - We just received in the mail the nice treats you gave us! Can't wait to try the truffles and desserts in the recipe book, and the magnets are already up on the fridge!

Have a great week,
Lisa and Krista