Thursday, December 6, 2007

The Island of Misfit Toys

Why am I such a misfit? I am not just a nit wit. You can't fire me I quit! Why, don't I fit in?"

A few nights ago I watched an old childhood holiday movie favorite of mine, "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer". Somehow I always connected with misfits Rudolph, Herbie (the elf that wanted to be a dentist), and Yukon Cornelius (and ha ha, I'm a rock hound just like he is!). I sang along to all of the songs with John giggling (and probably rolling his eyes wishing I'd change the channel) by my side. This made me think of all of the yummy vegan food that I've photographed with the intent of posting, but somehow it didn't look good or I had nothing interesting to say about it. So I am now going to post some of that misfit food. May it remind you of the Charlie in the Box, the elephant with spots, and the train with square wheels....

Let's see, there are countless numbers of tofu scrambles (I always eat mine burrito-style)



Tofu Marsala with roasted brussels sprouts

The amazing chickpea cutlets from V-con.

Vanilla soy yogurt with mango, raspberries, and almonds.

Salad with avocado, mushrooms, tomato, pine nuts, and hemp seeds.

Muffins (from so long ago I don't remember what kind)

Baby Bok Choy with Caramelized Green Onions and Ginger from V-con.

Mustard-Maple Glazed Green Beans

Spicy Peanut Eggplant Soup from V-Con. So awesome. I added kale and red lentils to make it seem a bit healthier (plus I like really thick soups).

Banana Bread, recipe from Vive Le Vegan.

Dinner out at Field of Greens, their macrobiotic platter with tofu quiche, steamed veggies, pinto beans, brown rice, and steamed kale with gingery sauce.


Aloo Mattar Paratha from Madras Pavilion.

Sammie with mashed tempeh (recipe for Spicy Tempeh Rolls in V-Con), tomato, avocado on toasted bread with roasted okra.


And so you see, these misfits found their place after all. And the movie ended happily with the Abominable Snowman (aka Bobo) having his teeth removed by Herbie so he can never eat meat (or any other animal product for that matter) again! Oh yeah, and Rudolph helped guide Santa's sleigh and all the reindeer loved him (especially Clarisse). Show your misfit food some love and post it on your blog or mention it in your comment :-)

16 comments:

aTxVegn said...

All those misfits have found a lovely place on this post - everything looks really really yummy! I made the peanut eggplant stew too and thought it was totally amazing. Did you bake or fry your chickpea cutlets? I haven't made those yet, but I will get around to them eventually. The baby bok choy looks great too.

bazu said...

Yay for misfits and Rudolph! And awesome food! And okra!

Liz Ranger (Bubble Tea for Dinner) said...

aw, misfit food! I love the concept, and srsly I wanna eat everything on the screen. :)

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Wooo! Go misfit foods!
The Tofu Marsala with roasted brussels sprouts sounds awesome!

Anonymous said...

this is a great food post, so much tasty things to try yum!!!

Carolann said...

Misfit foods are the best foods! Beautiful yumminess!

the little one said...

If these are your misfits, I should never post my food pics again. One person's misfit is another person's dream.

TB said...

like the little one, i can't believe these are your misfits! everything looks so wonderful. the scrambles, the soup, the yogurt, the the the... everything! yum yum.

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

I too love "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" - he was a misfit, but oh-so-cute as well :0D

mmm, these "misfit" meals look scrumptious!!! I'm especially loving the appearance of the brussels sprouts and avocado :0)

Jenni (aka Vegyogini) said...

I always root for the underdog, so I love this misfit post!

Anonymous said...

I am going to have to send your blog to my vegan friend... these food photos are great- it all looks so delicious!

And oh, Rudolph is my favorite Christmas movie... it's the best :)

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Aww, that was one of my favorite childhood Christmas movies too!

Liz said...

That guacamole on the tofu scramble is calling my name. And the tofu marsala looks divine!

Ashasarala said...

Misfits? I think not. They'd fit perfectly in my belly. :)

Everything looks so good, particularly that burrito. MMMMM!!!

Sheree' said...

I am so looking forward to V-con. I keep hoping Santa brings it to me! Yummy! I have to see if our library has the good good pig..

vko said...

I don't know what you are talking about- these are so not misfits at all- it all looks good! I love the misfits toys!!