Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Been a Bad Blogger

So I should come up with some really good excuse now about why I haven't blogged in over a week, truth is, there isn't one. I felt sick for a few days last week and since have been a bit unmotivated in the kitchen and busy getting ready to leave town. John and I leave Saturday for our delayed honeymoon on St John (any one have vegan food suggestions there?). I have also fallen behind on reading blogs, but I will really try to visit all of them before I leave!! I am a bit sad because I totally blew off the end of Vegan MoFo, I had so many other posts planned that just didn't make it. I could almost do a whole post on that! One of them will be tomorrow, and I'll try to fill in the rest as the month goes on.

Culinarily speaking (is that a word?), not much going on in my kitchen. Mostly we've been trying our best to clean out the fridge and pantry. But I think today I'm going to have to make a run to the grocery store because I'm craving fresh veggies and we have none! Last night I actually ate cereal for dinner. But the night before we had a real meal....

In the front is a stir fry of smoky seitan (used the V-con marinade for the smoky tempeh), red pepper, mushroom, and a bit of zucchini. Served alongside pureed white beans cooked with onion, garlic, and thyme. These taste creamy like mashed potatoes but are probably much better for you! And p.s., I used my new hand blender for the first time on these and fell in love, what a cool gadget! And up top is some pan-fried polenta (straight from the package) topped with roasted tomatoes (which I love on everything). Not bad for a meal when we had not much in the fridge.

For dessert, I indulged in some fudge that my mom sent home with me on Sunday. She enticed me over to the house with promises of fudge to help her decorate the Christmas tree. It's been a long standing tradition in our house, decorating the tree = fudge. Of course, I would have helped without it. And what's even better is that my mom now makes a vegan version, which is apparently also a lot easier than what she used to. Here is the recipe. I'll leave you with a photo of this creamy, chocolately holiday fudge.
Promise I'll be back with more tomorrow!

18 comments:

Unknown said...

oh my, the fudge!

Anonymous said...

Hi Noodle,
I'm heading to St. John this May and when I checked HappyCow.net I found one restaurant listed there without much info or a website. But, anyway, if you check happy cow you might find the address.

I don't know if you're going to Cinnamon Bay, but the restaurant there at the camp has at least a vegetarian option on the menu (but since my trip is 5 months in the *future* I cannot vouch for it!).

I hope you have a great time and I look forward to hearing about your adventures and your suggestions when you return!

Sarah

vko said...

Happy honeymooning in St.John- I've never been, so no food places to suggest...

Dinner looks yum as does the fudge!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

You have completely redeemed yourself for your bad-bloggerness with that amazing fudge picture! So now you can go enjoy your honeymoon guilt-free ;o)

Kumudha said...

That fudge looks so tasty!

The filling of the vegan Maamoul cookies is ground dates and pistachios. You could also use all-purpose flour instead of semolina.

Anonymous said...

fudge!!! is beautiful!!

Jenni (aka Vegyogini) said...

Thank you for the fudge recipe! Have a fantastic time on your honeymoon; can't wait to hear all about it. :)

Ruby Red said...

dang, i'll bet you enjoyed that fudge. looks yummy, give my compliments to the chef!

white beans, smoky seitan, and polenta sounds like a great meal to me... i wish my college cafeteria (ugh, gag) would serve something like this! um, hello, vegan does not mean rabbit food!

Emilie said...

Ooooh, that meal looks perfect to me. And fudge! Fudge!!!!!!!!!!!!!

aTxVegn said...

Yummy looking fudge! My dad and I used to make fudge every Christmas.

You made a great meal for not having much food to choose from. Have a great honeymoon!

the little one said...

Missed you lately. Glad to see this post! Thanks so much for the link to the fudge. It is sooooo easy! As soon as I said vegan fudge, my partner was like, "YES PLEASE!"

Tofu Mom (AKA Tofu-n-Sprouts) said...

Oh my! The fudge looks so amazing! I am swooning!

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

I love those dinner nights where you just eat a mishmash of crap! haha.
The fudge looks awesome, what a great Mom.

Jo said...

Oh man, that fudge! Thanks for the recipe link! :D

Lori- the Pleasantly Plump Vegan said...

yea! yr back!!!
the food and the fudge look so freaking good. i think i am gonna try my hand at fudge, course i like peanut butter fudge so maybe i'll have to figure that one out.

Ashasarala said...

Haha I eat cereal for dinner quite often. It's a good way not to over-indulge (unless the cereal is coated in sugar, which defeats the purpose).

Oh, and ps- I am totally snagging the fudge recipe for my Christmas Eve dessert. I think I have way too many things I want to make... but what is Christmas without fudge, right?

bazu said...

No worries about lack of posting, we've all been going through that lately!

Ohh, how fun that you guys are going to St. John. Daiku's sister has a condo there, and she always ships herself a box of food. We are going to go this summer, and I'm already planning on packing myself a suitcase of easy vegan foods (refried beans, power bars, crackers, etc...)

Have fun you newlyweds! I can't wait to see photos!

TB said...

I've never thought to puree white beans like that. looks awesome, so thanks for the idea! and ooh, that fudge... how cool that your mom now makes it vegan!