Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Wedding Food!

So I figured I would start out with wedding food, beginning with, of course, the cake!! As I've mentioned before, Hippie Chick Bakery designed, baked, and delivered my wedding cake. I absolutely loved the colors, I didn't want just a plain white wedding cake. The vegan buttercream frosting was sweet and creamy, I could eat it by itself, and I'm not even a frosting fan!



To let our guests know what flavors of cake were available, I made a sign out of the tons of leftover paper we had from programs, napkin rings, etc. And of course I had to highlight that the cake was vegan! It is so hard to choose a favorite flavor. We haven't even tried the marble yet (It's in the fridge waiting to be cut, one quarter to the freezer for our anniversary and the rest we'll try and eat!). But both the pumpkin and the chocolate were amazing ....



Now moving on to dinner (we actually ate this first :-) There were plenty of hors d'ouevres to start with, but I didn't get pictures (at least yet). Veggie sushi, spring rolls, falafel, and samosas. The caterer (Celebrations Gourmet) was even nice enough to bring trays over while we were taking pictures! But on to the main course, here was my dinner plate (one photo I actually did snap myself).



The plate consists of a wild mushroom strudel made with shitake, crimini, and oyster mushrooms sauteed with leeks and Madeira wine rolled in phyllo pastry. This dish got rave reviews from many of our guests.



On the side we had roasted asparagus



And roasted sweet potatoes (a bit blurry)



I went back for seconds of the strudel. I even told the caterer that I'd leave it on my plate awhile and not to take it away, that I'd be back for it. Of course I had good intentions, but I was so busy I never made it back! So instead, they packed us a lunch for the next day and also gave all the leftovers to John's family. They'll be eating this stuff for days!

In other eating adventures before the wedding, we tried the Boston Hot Dog Company while in Salem. I of course had the Veggie Dog which was made of tofu I believe. The guy running the place was quite a character.



I give it an okay review. Not something I would really eat again, but at least I tried it!



And finally, dinner in Salem at Fresh Taste of Asia where I had the sesame tofu. Also tried their Idaho Maki roll, deep fried sweet potato sushi. It was delicious and even converted my not-so-crazy about sushi sister.



More wedding photos to come!

24 comments:

Jody from VegChic said...

Wow, the wedding cake is beautiful and you guys look so cute in the wedding photos. Congrats again!

I've not been up to Salem in awhile. Last time we were there, we drove over to Beverly and tried the raw restaurant. Good to know there are some other options.

---Veggie dogs are pretty good. I'm always torn when I find vegan ones at a place like that or at Spike's. It seems silly to pay $3 for a veggie dog when I can buy a whole package for that price. On the other hand I want to support them, so they keep offering the option.

Anyway, welcome back.

Kumudha said...

The wedding cake is breathtaking!

All the dishes look so good, and it is great that your relatives and friends liked!

Thanks for sharing so many wonderful pictures.

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS! A beautiful wedding for a beautiful couple. Best wishes :)

bazu said...

Awesome. Vegan wedding cakes have come such a long way! 3 years ago, for our wedding, I couldn't find any such thing (of course, I might not have known where to look...)- yours looks and sounds so good. And the meal- wow, I am drooling at the wild mushrooms and the asparagus! You guys ate so well- thanks for sharing all the fun with us!

Anna said...

Yum, yum, yum! I love your unconventional wedding cake--what a great idea to vary from the traditional white! That strudel looks very tasty. Congrats on the wedding. You looked lovely.

Anonymous said...

That cake is so beautiful, wow! All the food looks lovely, I'm really envious (in a good way!).

Kayla said...

You're wedding pictures look beautiful. The food looks amazing and tasty. The two of you look so happy. I'm glad that your special day went so well. I hope you have many many many many more together, and then some! Thanks for sharing with us.

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

oh my goodness gracious that wedding cake is STUNNING - it looks too perfect to eat!! and the "main event" (the wild mushroom strudel with/roasted vegetables) looks quite delicious as well - definitely the tastiest-looking wedding fare I've EVER seen!! wow, that veggie-dog looks like one of those foot-long hot dogs, haha - sorry it wasn't more enjoyable; but I'm glad that you DID thoroughly enjoy your sesame tofu dish, and even got your sister to like sushi!

I'm looking forward to seeing more of your beautiful wedding photos!! :0)

p.s. thank you for the tip on the tofu quiches - that sounds like a splendid idea, making one large quiche; and my parents DID miss the crust as well (I did too actually - maybe that's what I felt was missing!).

urban vegan said...

What an amazing cake. How cool that you had an entirely vegan wedding. Congrats again. Health and happiniess to you both.

Veggie said...

I really love that wedding cake! Green is my favourite colour.

Anonymous said...

amazing cake!!!

Lori- the Pleasantly Plump Vegan said...

yr wedding food/cake is probably the prettiest i have EVER seen. great job!
also, that sesame tofu looks so good.

Anonymous said...

I totally cracked up how the one photo you took at your wedding was of your dinner plate! You are a serious vegan blogger.

All of your food looks like it turned out delicious. I'm so happy to hear it went well.

Ruthie said...

VN~

I miss your blog for 10 days and come back and you're a married woman! CRAZINESS!

My dad made our wedding cake, how sweet is that! LOL I'm glad your day went off without a "hitch" ;-)

Peace!

aTxVegn said...

The food looks fabulous and the cake is beautiful! I'm so glad everything went just the way you planned.

david santos said...

Hello, Vegan!
Good food, tahnk you.
have a good weekend

Emilie said...

What a beautiful cake! Hippy chick does such a great job. We considered having them do our cake too, but then I decided to be crazy and make a vegan cake buffet, which was really fun.

Anyway, congrats and many happy wishes! Looks like it was a beautiful and memorable day and a good way to mark the evolution of your relationship.

Anonymous said...

wow, congratulations. everything, including you, looks gorgeous.

Lizzy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lizzy said...

That cake is so neat! Congrats!

laura k said...

Congratulations on your wedding!!! That's so exciting. My hubby and I were both omnis when we got married, and while I still remember fondly everything about that day, the only thing I ever wish was different is that it had been a vegan wedding. So thanks for sharing your vegan wedding food with us--that cake is AMAZINGLY beautiful...

Sheree' said...

Your cake is amazing! Everything is amazing. Perfection!

Webly said...

Awesome! I couldn't pick even 3 flavors of cake either, so we had about 7 different kinds in cupcake and cake form. I should probably post my wedding cake photos. Hopefully I'll get the professional photos soon.
Beautiful!

vko said...

That cake is too gorgeous. And the rest of food looks delicious too. What a perfect wedding feast!