Monday, September 17, 2007

Sieving Seeds for Supper

Although I hardly ever use store bought dressings and vinaigrette anymore, my idea of making a salad dressing is usually just combining olive oil, flax oil, balsamic vinegar, and some whole grain mustard, giving it a shake, and calling it a day. But some salads call for something a little more special. The raspberry vinaigrette from the Candle Cafe Cookbook calls for you to blend frozen (or fresh) raspberries with vinegar (I used balsamic instead of red wine) and some other ingredients, then sieve out the the seeds.


Here's what you're left with after sieving. This step reminded me of being in college, working in the soils lab. I sieved so many soil samples....



And what better way to use the vinaigrette than a simple salad welcoming in the fall fruit I love the most: pears. These are red pears over a bed of spinach leaves with toasted pecans and raspberries as garnish. A refreshingly sweet salad!

12 comments:

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Ooh, beautiful!

Carrie™ said...

Raspberry vinaigrette is one of my favorites. Home made is even more delicious!

aTxVegn said...

I think you've made the perfect salad!

Anonymous said...

that looks awesome! hahaha, i can see how it reminded you of working at a soil lab :)

bazu said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous salad.

bazu said...

P.S. I forgot to tell you- in that photo of yourself you posted with your meme, you look exactly like my friend Natalie- the resemblance is striking!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

I haven't had raspberry vinaigrette in a long time (since I too am not too keen on the store-bought dressings) - your salad is the perfect way to show off your dressing!! yum!! the red starksimmon pears are my favorite variety :0)

Lori- the Pleasantly Plump Vegan said...

yummmmmm! beautiful salad!
another trick i use is to put in a spoonful of preserves or jam in our dressings. strawberry, raspberry and blueberry are my favorites. it gives it a sweet note to counter the vinegar bite, plus less work.

Kumudha said...

The salad looks so delicious!

Ruthie said...

Noodle ~

I have to ask -- have you seen this month's Delicious Living (free magazine at Whole Foods and Co-ops) if you go to their website they have a very similar salad to yours this month! Apples, raspberries and greens. Just a coincidence I guess, but yum. :)

Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

what a beautiful photo! and I bet it tasted that way too. The 23rd is really coming up -- wishing you all the best! :)

Meg Wolff said...

This looks absolutely delicious!!!