Sunday, May 13, 2007

Yay for Moms and a Vegan Food Photo Montage

Happy Mother's Day to all (especially my wonderful mom)!! Last night my parents came over to our place for a mom's birthday/mom's day dinner. Dinner was wonderful and filling (we had mom's homemade bread, sweet potatoes, sauteed squash medley with pesto, spinach salad with mango, strawberry, and blueberries, and pecan crusted seitan), and we barely had room to try my first Vegan Chocolate Swirl Cheesecake, recipe courtesy of Urban Vegan. Although I don't think it would fool any omnivores, it was creamy and light and delicious! Plus I discovered the joys of using a springform pan....what fun!


Earlier on Saturday we went to the farmer's market and picked up plenty of fresh veggies, fruit, and some locally grown flowers for the dinner table. Here is a photo of the spread including: eggplant, cucumber, pattypan, zucchini, and yellow squash, peaches, green bell peppers, green beans, and blueberries.













And here's some more food photos from the past two weeks.....

Seitan and Mushroom Stroganoff from VWAV. I usually put in way more mushrooms and peas than the recipe calls for. It is creamy and way better than the stroganoff I remember from childhood (sorry mom!). My first time eating broccolini, very tasty!







Here's our quick dinner night (ironically we had this on a Sunday, when I actually do have time and energy to cook....) Gardenburger Grilled Chikn Burger with whole grain mustard and avocado. Sauteed some oyster mushrooms with parsley alongside my favorite spring-time vegetable, roasted asparagus (I could eat this every day, really).






This was a quick and tasty salad....Tantalizing Thai Slaw from Compassionate Cooks. Loved the crunchyness of the peanuts and cabbage. Quick and easy to make too. I left out the onions because I don't like raw onion breath.



And finally a Rainbow Vegetable Curry, modified from Vegan Chef, served over brown rice. I added kale and some red lentils, as well as a can of fire-roasted diced tomatoes. Usually we don't eat our curries with coconut milk, but this time we splurged (with the light variety of course).

1 comment:

aTxVegn said...

Hi fellow Texas vegan! Your food here looks so great! Your dinner for your mom sounds terrific. Aren't you glad to find our peaches in the farmers market now? Actually I love all the summer veggies. And super job on the cheesecake!