Thursday, June 25, 2009

Houston Represented! Worldwide Vegan Bake Sale Recap

Houston's Worldwide Vegan Bake Sale this past weekend was a huge success!! Despite temperatures that could melt vegan buttercream in a matter of minutes, we drew in quite the crowd of hungry vegans and non-vegans looking to satisfy their sweet tooth for a good cause. Proceeds from this Society of PEACE sponsored event are going to Peaceful Prairie Sanctuary in Colorado (a place both near and dear to my heart). I think our electric blue "Vegan Bake Sale" sign really got the point across!

Check out our goody table! This was taken before even more cupcakes and brownies arrived. We had some seriously skilled bakers throw down for this bake sale. Embarassingly enough, I think I tried one of almost everything and there's no way I could choose a favorite (though John is still talking about the mexican wedding cookies and the pineapple upside cake).
Want a close-up? Of course I'm sure you're all wondering what I baked. Suprisingly enough I chose not to make cupcakes (shocker, I know), and instead made some healthy low-fat banana bread with pecans(Vcon), banana split brownies (VWAV), and coffee cake (VB).
In addition to all the tasty vegan morsels for sale, we also had a literature table chock full of information on why we should all go vegan, including pamphlets from Peaceful Prairie, how to bake without eggs/dairy, vegan recipe booklets, and upcoming vegan events in Houston.
At the end of the day, we sold almost everything (plus, for those of us lucky enough to stick around till the end, we got our pick of the leftovers!). And in the process we spread the vegan word and raised $650 for our friends at Peaceful Prairie Sanctuary!!
Thanks so much to our wonderful volunteers and talented bakers for making this happen, Mango's Cafe for hosting (more on them in an upcoming post), the coordination efforts of the Worldwide Vegan Bake Sale folks, and everyone who came out to support us!

31 comments:

nora said...

Looks great! I love how you divided your baking among Isa's 3 cookbooks :)

Veronica said...

Oh lord, my mouth is watering. Perhaps midnight is not the time to be trolling tempting sweets online!

I'm glad the bake sale was such a success! But that's no surprise, how can anyone resist food that looks and sounds that good? And I'm jealous of the weather you've been having - Washington's being severely robbed of a normally pleasant summer.

Rose said...

I'm so glad the vegan bake sale went great. If only I could've been there!

Tami said...

So much amazing goodness in this post. Congratulations on such a successful bake sale.

The picture with the little boy smiling and popping out from under the table is awesome!

A said...

AWESOME!!! Wish I could have been there. :(
-A

Mihl said...

Great Job! That is a fantastic spread of vegan treats.

vegan.in.brighton said...

Nice work, that all looks amazing. Well done for helping raise all that money and promoting veganism through cake!

Bianca said...

Yea! I'm so glad the sale was such a success! If I'd have been there, I'd have tried one of each too.

Bert said...

Glad to hear that all went well! I was in a photography class all day and the aircon was out the last 2 hrs, so it was sweltering! Had to go straight home instead of swinging by the bake sale as I had intended. Next time! And Kath and I will definitely try Mango's soon.

Erin said...

Congrats on a successful sale! Everything looks great, and the banner is very cool too. Ours is tomorrow, I think it's going to go really well.

Amey said...

wow! that's great... so many choices, and $650 is a really substantial donation. How wonderful. Your Society for Peace group seems so great... I'm a little jealous! I wish we had a good network like that in SC!

Vaala ◪ said...

Wow, that's an impressive spread! Awesome job :)

Hannah said...

What a fantastic and vast offering! Looks like one great bake sale by any standards.

x said...

Congratulations, your bake sale goodies look fantastic :)

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

That looks AWESOME! I wish I could have been there.

Theresa said...

Everything looks so great! I love the kid under the literature table--too cute!

Vegan Girl (Roni Seabury) said...

Our bake sale in San Francisco was so hot, things were melting including myself! Baked goods were being sold fast and someone came by and dropped off $20 in the tip jar and didn't even want any goodies. So nice! I didn't last long volunteering unfortuantly because the heat was really getting to me but I think we made a lot of money for Animal Place.

vko said...

Looks so amazing & you are amazing!
Hope you are well!
xVKO

dreaminitvegan said...

Awesome bakesale. Everything looks amazing! Congrats on making all that money for the sanctuary.

Leigh said...

Well done, Houston!! Everything looks wonderful.

aTxVegn said...

That's a great table of vegan treats! Congratulations on a successful bake sale.

MannyS said...

Be vegan!! Check out this new website - many members in it, like me, are vegan, and theres groups for it!

you get your own channels!!

http://www.myblogz.com/people/signup.php

Millie said...

What a great treat. I would of felt as if I had died and gone to heaven be in heaven if I would of been there. The bake goods were beautiful and I bet very yummy.

http://nuestracena-vegancuisine.blogspot.com

Cooking With Dia said...

Awesome! I wish my town would do a vegan bake sale, problem is I'm the only vegan!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sarah P said...

I love the picture of the table with the kid playing underneath ^_^

Sheree' said...

How are you? Missing you!!!!

Brandie said...

Where'd you go!!!??

Elana said...

Your vegan morsels look amazing to be exact! I love the idea of the banana split brownies. I just got some baking supplies from KaTom, a restaurant equipment site, and I can't wait to make my own take on some of these.