Thursday, June 11, 2009

The Brunch Crawl

Every Sunday afternoon, my neighborhood is overtaken by drunken yuppy hipster brunchers literally crawling from one brunch hangout to another. Unfortunately, just about the only vegan item on the menu is a mimosa or a bloody mary (which I'm happy to partake in, but it leaves a girl needing some food!). So now join me on my own mini brunch crawl, courtesy of the fabulous new Vegan Brunch cookbook, as I take you from the savory all the way to the sweet.

First up are the Chesapeake tempeh cakes with a tangy remoulade sauce. Holy moly these things are tasty. For those of you that are tempeh-haters, give this recipe a try and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Really, you can't go wrong with capers and panko. If you don't have Vegan Brunch yet, you are in luck because this recipe is online.
After a few failed previous attempts at making vegan omelets, this recipe made it so easy! I filled my omelet with roasted plum tomatoes, grilled asparagus, melted teese, and fresh basil. I could have eaten ten of these things they were that good. On the side are baked hashbrowns, a nice variation to the typical fried version.
Oh, the bagels. Now I know making bagels sounds a bit daunting to some but you must try it (plus people will be impressed). I literally ate three bagels 20 minutes after they came out of the oven, I couldn't stop myself. The toppings were a bit finicky with them coming off in the boiling water, but it was all worth it. I made an assortment of cinnamon-sugar, poppy seed, and sesame seed bagels. They were perfect plain but my favorite way to eat them was toasted and slathered with some tofutti.
And now moving on to a few sweeter items.... these are the bakery style berry muffins. I used a mixture of frozen raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, and a few frozen strawberries. These muffins had a delicate crumb... so delicate that a few of the berries exploded out (result of no muffin liner, but hey, that's bakery style!), but they were eaten regardless.
And the sweetest of all, really a dessert, the East Coast coffee cake. I followed Isa's suggested variation of adding both frozen raspberries and chocolate chips. This is a sure way to win over your friends and family when hosting vegan brunch.
So don't crawl, don't walk, run and get a copy of Vegan Brunch. You will have people lining up at your door for good food and good times on a Sunday afternoon! Oh, and don't forget the mimosas.

35 comments:

Anonymous said...

These all look fab! Can't wait for my book to arrive..any day now!

Anonymous said...

I cannot WAIT for my copy to arrive. Everything looks delicious - awesome job!! Those bagels look dangerous indeed!

Amey said...

Three Cheers for Vegan Brunch!!

Those bagels are next on my list. I'm sure that I will eat them ALL within 20 minutes.... but I'm going to go ahead and make them anyway!

it all looks super delicious!!
:)

Jess said...

How do your pictures look even better than the pictures in the book?! I neeeeed to try those Tempeh Cakes immediately. That coffee cake looks out of this world, as well!

And the omelet... Wow. I have been on the hunt for black salt & finally found a place near me that has it! Going to buy some is definitely on my weekend agenda!

celine said...

if I get to pick just one thing, that'd be the bagels. but who am I kidding? I am now craving everything.

Ruthie said...

Yummmmy :-)

I can say 1st hand that the bagels were delightful.

Have you had the vegan brunch at Mango's yet? Please Review!!! :-)

VeganWoman said...

What a crawl! Those bagels look amazing, I would have ate that many too.

Krista said...

Very tasty!

I've been trying to decide between the Vegan Brunch cookbook and the Vegan Scoop ice cream recipe book. Ahh! Decisions...

I have been dying to make an omelet, your looks fabulous!

Anonymous said...

I too, ate three bagels within 20 minutes after they had finished baking. So good! The rest of your Vegan Brunch creations look incredibly beautiful and yummy!!!

Anonymous said...

I love this brunch crawl! haha

that East Coast coffee cake looks amazing and i keep seeing it on everyones blogs. I need to get Vegan brunch asap!

ps. love your pics!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Someday you will HAVE to come cook for me. There's no getting around it, Amanda!

Anonymous said...

It all looks delicious! I can't wait to try out those recipes. I love Vegan Brunch, I plan on making some more things from it tonight.

The cornbread waffles are really good, try them!

Mihl said...

I always thought Iam not really a brunch person. But I think Isa and all you bloggers turned me into one. So my copy is on its way. All your foods look deleicious and I am totally gonna make that cake.

Tami said...

Fabulous photos! I love those tempeh cakes...and that omelet recipe is the absolute best. Honestly, I didn't make anything from that book (during testing) that wasn't terrific!

kitchenspoon said...

Oh my gracious....am I ever hungry! It's dinnertime now, so I'm thinking brunch for dinner sounds like an awesome idea. Great post!

Leigh said...

Seems to me you should just open up your front door on Sunday afternoon and serve up the best brunch on the street!

Lauren said...

I love brunch foods! Those tempeh cakes are calling my name!

Theresa said...

Wow, everything looks great. I'm especially impressed with that omelette--the ones I've tried before have been epic fails. The coffee cake looks pretty great, too.

jd said...

Love it!

And I'm totally not a breakfast person... well, except for the hash browns, and bagels, and muffins... and, well, pretty much any other carb!

Looks good, girly!

Anonymous said...

It all looks so delicious - beautiful pictures! My copy arrived here in France (in the suitcase of a friend) this morning...now I just need to wait till she comes over!

Vic Robinson said...

Everyone seems to be talking about Vegan Brunch now. It is a great book. Your muffins and coffee cake look yummy! I will be making them soon.

Anonymous said...

Everything at this brunch was fantastic! Amanda's Mom

aTxVegn said...

I would say this was a perfectly successful brunch! Really, every single thing looks amazing. You've made me want to make bagels!

dreaminitvegan said...

I have to get that book this week. Everything looks soooo goooood! I'm glad that you like the crabcakes because I've been wanting to try them and I so miss crabcakes-the taste of them not the crab, obviously. hee hee

miss v said...

i'm a die-hard panko fan!

i've seen this omelet blogged about on a couple other sites... looks *so* genuine. almost freaky!

VeganCowGirl said...

Vegan Noodle! I can't believe how great your bagels look - amazing. Ok, I am totally inspired to make these guys this week - due date or no due date!
Your brunch looks fantastic - everything looks super great. Have a great week!

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

I need to make that coffee cake! I loved the omelets & the bagels were SO good, I ate a bunch right away too!

Amy said...

Mmm it all looks incredible!! I'm dying to make those muffins (I went to the other day only to discover I was out of berries :()!! And I definitely need to finally try my hand at bagels. They look amazing!

A said...

OK.... everyone has been writing about this book but YOU have convinced me to buy it! Great pics!
-A

vegan.in.brighton said...

I really want those muffins, can't wait to get my copy of the book.

Carrie™ said...

Toronto Vegetarian Assoc. does a podcast every Saturday and this past Saturday's included a phone interview with Isa. She was in NY at the time and it was funny in one part she says to her mom in the background that she's on the phone doing an interview. Anyway, Vegan Brunch is a huge hit (who would have thought otherwise). Vegan Brunch is sold out around here. After seeing all of the deliciousness that you whipped up, I'm thinking I may have to order it on line.
I am so intrigued by these omelettes. I've heard that the recipe calls for black salt. Were you able to find some?

Carrie™ said...

OH YEA! The bagels! I forgot to mention the bagels. I am totally addicted to those things. Sesame are my favs. Are they easy to make?

Lovlie said...

Oh the lovely bagels! Everything looks so perfectly yummy! I must get a copy of that book!

TB said...

Everything looks INCREDIBLE! I have made vegan omelets probably 4 times since getting Vegan Brunch, because I'm obsessed with them, but you have given me a lot of new things to try--thanks! :)

Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen said...

I am working my way through this book now! I love everything I have tried so far. Your pictures look great and now I have added a few more things to make to my list!