Wednesday, August 29, 2007

I Want My Spinach!



Oh no, here we go again. I just saw an article stating that a California company has recalled fresh spinach due to a positive test for salmonella. No illness has been reported yet. I remember the spinach scare last year (due to E. coli) that kept my favorite salad green off the shelves for what seemed like weeks! Please please don't let this happen... I was counting on eating healthy salads these next few weeks!

Now of course, I understand that if there is a chance that spinach is contaminated, that it should be pulled from the shelves. What angers me is the double standard! Meat recalls happen everyday, how often do you hear about them? During the spinach scare of 2006 you couldn't find spinach anywhere, but have you ever seen all beef taken off the shelves due to recall? No, of course not, because the meat industry and the USDA are best buddies. And of course, since the spinach scare, I meet so many people that, when I inform them I'm vegan, make some crack about how I have a better chance of getting salmonella because I eat vegetables. HELLO! Don't they realize that is the factory farming industry that is responsible for the E. coli and salmonella in my leafy greens?

Here's hoping....

8 comments:

Lori- the Pleasantly Plump Vegan said...

its maddening the double standards and ignorance of people.

Anonymous said...

i really understand, that happens to me, my omni family tell me the same!!!

Anonymous said...

nooooooooo, not again!!!!

Candi said...

Oh no! I didn't realize this was happening again. Oh... I hope they do not pull the spinach! I was so sad without it last time. I think I just need to grow my own produce!! :)

Happy 1 year vegan anniversary, by the way!! :) :)

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

oh my goodness, I know, I saw this report on the news this morning - I love spinach, so I just make sure not to buy the brands that are affected (since it's usually the pre-washed/packaged spinach that gets tainted with bacteria). we need to save the spinach!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh great, I just bought a huge container of fresh spinach last night!
EEEK.
Thanks for keeping us up-to-date and for voicing our frustration at the double standards in this society!
Sarah

Kayla said...

I think it is a huge conspiracy by the meat industry to try to get people to stop eating their vegetables, and consume more meat. By constantly bombarding us with warnings of contamination, it makes the public think that eating meat is just as, if not safer than, eating their veggies. But, if you buy local, and organic, you generally are not faced with problems of contamination. Either way, I say stick it to the meat industry and eat all the veggies you can!

bazu said...

Ugh. Deja vu all over again... I remember being frustrated with the recall last year, and it seems that history is repeating itself. What will it take for this nation to put the well-being of humans (let alone animals) against unsustainable factory farm profits?