Tuesday, April 22, 2008

One Year of Blogging

I had so many good intentions of a big one year blogiversary post. But with my business travel to Calgary last week, a busy weekend of running around, and top of everything getting a cold for the first time this year, it just didn't happen. Suffice it to say that the last year of blogging has been a wonderful experience and I thank every one of you who visits the blog and takes the time to read my sometimes random monologues. I have gotten so much more out of blogging than I had ever imagined, and for that I am thankful. (**here's the part where I blow out my imaginary candle and wish for many more years of productive, entertaining blogging**)

Over the weekend, we celebrated Earth Day with our local vegan society (Society of PEACE) with an all vegan picnic in the park! Everyone brought their families and we had about 40 people turn out on a gorgeous spring day. The picnic was BYOP&S (plates and silverware) in order to be more Earth friendly :-) Here's my plate, filled with a veggie dog (provided by SOP), twinkie, enchiladas, prospect park potato salad (from Vcon, which I made), fruit salad, green curry w/potatoes and chickpeas, broccoli salad, cabbage salad, and macaroni salad. More food came after I got my plate, and I tried a few including a bean salad, lentils and rice, and local green salad. All very yum.

The afternoon was full of lots of eating, chatting about veganism in Houston, and watching the kids (and adults) run around and play. Here's John and I... me with my dessert plate that included carrot cake, fat free chocolate cake, and chocolate peanut butter cookies. Like my new Vegan shirt from Cosmo's?

Just to prove that I haven't solely been living off of potluck food, here's some food from my kitchen.... Dinner last week of cumin lime tofu (from ED&BV), sauteed french green beans, and a baked sweet potato. I loved the tofu, especially with the crunchy pumpkin seeds on top. This will definitely be made again.

And I was a lucky recipient of some sourdough starter from the amazing Bazu!! John is a huge fan of sourdough, so he was especially excited to see this arrive in it's little green package (with a cute origami figure) in the mail. I began by making some sourdough pancakes to familiarize myself with the whole process. These were light and fluffy with a nice hint of sour. See all those instructions by the plate?!? I love how baking is a science. The next challenge will be making the crusty San Francisco style sourdough bread. You have not heard the last about sourdough here. Thanks so much Bazu for the starter!!

And finally, while in Calgary last week I had some roasted beets and asked myself why I had never made any on my own. I took care of that last night. Just a simple salad with mixed greens, walnuts, shredded carrots, and a maple balsamic vinaigrette. The beets are topped with a bit of sea salt. And to imagine I hated beets as a child....

Hope everyone did a something kind for the planet today..... Happy Earth Day!

39 comments:

the little one said...

Happy anniversary! One year, yeah! We're all lucky to have you and your always beautiful food in the blogosphere!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!! One year of blogging is a wonderful success! =)

You truly did get to enjoy our nice weather. Last week was fabulous. It's still snowing here today and even tomorrow!! Yuck!

Mmm, that's fantastic that your local vegan society had a potluck, I think everyone should have one everywhere in the world!

Happy Earth Day!

Wes said...

Ahh. I heard about those twinkies, but I showed up too late. Nice to meet you!

Animal-Friendly said...

Happy blog-anniversary! I hope you enjoy blowing out your imaginary candles :)

How great to have all of these vegan potlucks in your area! Besides the food, I'm sure gathering with so many great people must be fun. And I love your new Vegan shirt from Cosmo's!

Sourdough pancakes must be amazing! I agree with your husband- I love anything and everything sourdough. Can't wait to see more!

Anonymous said...

Happy One Year anniversary! That's wonderful. You've done a great job with the blog! :)

I've always wondered about sourdough starter (I adore sourdough bread), so nice to see that it can be used so easily! And your tofu looks marvelous.

Tracy said...

Congrats on your blogiversary! That salad looks delicious.

Lori- the Pleasantly Plump Vegan said...

yay! happy anniversary! i was thinking the other day that i look forward to reading yr blogs so much.
i can taste those pancakes all the way from ATL!!!

Vegan Girl (Roni Seabury) said...

Congratulations on your 1 year blogiversary! I love reading your blog. You sure know how to eat good! All the food and pictures, everything, looks so good. My "picture taking of food" skills need to be spruced up at best or I would be doing more of it myself. - Roni

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Wishing you a VERY happy one year blogiversary - here's to many more years of your fabulous blog, Amanda!! :0)

How lucky that you get to attend all these vegan potlucks, with such a delightful spread of food - yum!!

Happy Earth Day!!

Theresa said...

Happy bloggiversary, and happy earth day too! Those roasted beets look super yummy, and I am perpetually jealous of all your vegan potlucking opportunities! Keep living it up on behalf of us isolated vegans!

MeloMeals said...

Happy Blogiversary!

I really love beets and have been eating them everyday in my lunch salad... so good!

Leigh said...

Happy Anniversary!
And oh my gosh, it's so cool to see one of our shirts out in the wild like that! I knew their natural habitat would be surrounded by good vegan food. :)

Anonymous said...

happy earth day! that cumin lime tofu is a favorite of mine too. you're right, the pumpkin seeds do add the perfect touch!

glad to know your potluck went well!

i truly hope you keep your page going.

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Hooray for more sourdough starter owners! That beet salad looks killer & you know I love a good potluck plate!

Anonymous said...

happy blog-ersary! and happy Earth Day! happy, happy!

The Voracious Vegan said...

Your picnic looks wonderful! I so wish I could have been there. I have been missing Texas (and the basic human rights that go along with living in the states) so much lately! It is frustrating to want to protest, demonstrate, peacefully gather, table, hand out fliers, create advocacy posters, etc, only to have it ALL be illegal. And your food has my stomach growling! Like always, I love your blog. Thanks for a little taste of home!

Anonymous said...

Happy anniversary!

I loved the cumin lime tofu, it's delish even without the seeds on top.

The beet salad looks truly amazing! I wasn't a big fan of beets before and I don't know why, they're lovely!

J said...

Happy Blogiversary!

The beet salad looks amazing! What beautiful colors!

And again, there you are having so much fun at a vegan gathering! You are so motivating to me! (Check my blog this weekend, I may be getting up my courage to go to a vegan meet-up in my area!)

J said...

Happy blogaversary!

That food all looks fantastic!

That's a really cute picture of you and John.

bazu said...

happy anniversary! I can't believe it's already been a year- I still think of your blog as one of the new ones (that just shows that I'm way behind on the times...!) I love picnics and potlucks- I look forward to having them now that we have warm weather. Oh, and I'm glad that you received the sourdough starter and it seems to have come back to life! I hope there are many loaves of perfectly sour bread in your future!

megan said...

Happy Anniversary!
Potlucks are the best!

Alicia said...

Congratulations! the tofu looks so amazing, I wish I had that book. And the beet salad, mmm. You're doing a great job with your blog!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

First of all, happy blogiversary!

I am always jealous of all the veg*n events you seem to find! Why don’t we have these kinds of events in Dallas? Or do we, and I don’t even know they exist? Hmmm…

Your picnic looks sooooooo super-fun! I love picnics, and an all-veg picnic sounds even better!

The simple salad looks anything but simple :o).

Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

Happy Earth Day and Blog Anniversary! Lots to celebrate. The vegan potluck food looks so amazing, and cute photo of you & John - pretty background, and awesome shirt!! Looking forward to reading your inspiring and informative blog for many years to come! CHEERS!

Ruby Red said...

happy anniversary! the potluck sounds like it was really fun. what i really want to know about is how the twinkie was! i always hated them, but vegan things always tend to be better. the classic example is vegan cupcakes vs. artificial, nasty birthday non-vegan cupcakes.

mmm, those slabs of tofu look awesome! and your beet salad is so pretty. you are quite the plate decorator.

Jess said...

Happy Bloggiversary! :) That's exciting!

All of that potluck food looks delicious. What a fun picnic! That Cumin-Lime Tofu also looks fantastic. I have looked at that in the book before, but haven't tried it yet. It seems like a great spring/summer dish to me, though! I better make that soon.

LASTLY, I am jealous of your sourdough starter! I so want to try making my own sometime. I'll keep an eye out for a starter, and I can't wait to see how your bread turns out.

Binx said...

Everything looks delicious.. but the beets look amazing! I used to be afraid of them until I read Jitterbug Perfume (a good read). Roasted is one of the best ways to eat them (raw in a salad is delicious too)

Andréa said...

Happy Anniversary! I love your recipes and pictures and you look great with your new vegan T-shirt! Cheers.

The Voracious Vegan said...

Oh, I meant to tell you, I started another blog: The Vegan Revolution.

you can check it out at:
www.theveganrevolution.blogspot.com

Wheeler's Frozen Dessert said...

Wow everything looks amazing!

aTxVegn said...

It's already been a year?!?! I LOVE your blog, Amanda, and all you do to promote a healthy and ecofriendly lifestyle.

I'm not a sourdough fan, but I told Bazu those pancakes could probably turn me around.

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

Happy Blog Birthday!
I am so jealous, it looks lovely and warm there and having a picnic too, sigh!

Lindsay (Happy Herbivore) said...

CONGRADS!

your photos are amazing as always. I must be turning into CCV because I cannot get over that beautiful purple dish! and im not even a huge beets fan...but my goodness!

p.s. LOVE your new photo!

Anonymous said...

a belated happy blogaversary! That spread looks fantastic!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the blogaversary, and happy belated Earth Day! :)

julie hasson said...

Happy blogaversary! Your blog is always fun to read and catch up with.

All of that picnic food looks really yummy.

Anonymous said...

congrats!!! Everything looks sooo delicious and I'm super jealous you got to celebrate earth day in such a fun way! I was at work :( I want to try those pancakes, especially, they look very very fluffy and yummy!

Kumudha said...

Congratulations!

All the dishes look so good!

Heather said...

One year of blogging is so cool. I'm envious already. I could barely make it through 3 months. I'm back in the blogosphere now and have your beautiful blog and photographs to inspire me.