Friday, August 10, 2007

Inside Out

Hopefully by the end of this post you won't think that all I eat is sushi. But we had leftover sushi fillings from Tuesday's dinner party, and I didn't want to waste them. Plus, this was the perfect time to try making inside out rolls! No pressure of guests hanging around, complete freedom to mess up. But they actually turned out pretty well! Check out my inside out mango and avocado rolls.....






If you are thinking of attempting the inside out roll for the first time, don't do it without first watching Isa and Terry's PPK episode on sushi! There is something about inside out rolls that I find more pleasing to the palatte than regular rolls. I think it has to do with the fact that your teeth are first biting into the rice versus having to chew through the nori. But maybe it's just me. Oh, and check out my pretty new blue serving platter, perfect for sushi. A wedding gift from my grandparents!


In addition to sushi making, I got a few treats in the mail yesterday from Vegan Essentials that I'll be showing in the next week or so. First up are my new, favorite candy bars, Crispy Cat. I first tried these back in Portland after stopping by every vegan tourist's must see, Food Fight Grocery. Last night I tried the roasted peanut bar, very reminiscent of a Snickers, yum. Now I must try and convince the Whole Foods in my area to start carrying these. They had a bit of a rough time surviving in the Texas heat (the chocolate melted a little), but they still tasted fantastic!



Tomorrow night we are attending a vegan potluck put on by the Houston Vegan Meetup, can't wait to taste everyone's food!! I have been so envious as of lately seeing all the vegan food events everyone has been attending in some of the, shall we say, more "vegan-progressive" parts of the country. So this is Houston's chance!!

3 comments:

Kayla said...

Oh yum, that crispy cat bar is right up my alley. That would be great if the Whole Foods in Houston started carrying them. And then I could convince Austin to bring some in. I hope you enjoy the potluck tomorrow. I really wanted to go, but I will still be in Austin. Have fun!

bazu said...

your sushi is beautiful!

Anonymous said...

I think I have no choice but to give a try to these Crispy Cats I've been hearing great things about. :D