Sunday, July 29, 2007

Family Breakfast

This weekend my grandparents and aunt visited Houston, so this morning John and I drove out west to join them at my parent's home for breakfast. It was one of those breakfasts that leaves you pleasantly full, plus you feel like you've put something healthy in your body. Here is my yummy plate....



My mom gets credit for the amazingly yummy waffles and fruit salad. The waffle recipe is from VWAV, the Oatmeal-Banana-Raisin Waffles, minus the raisins. We topped them with fresh bananas, blueberries, pecans, and maple syrup. Mmmmm, so good, I'd been craving waffles for awhile now.


My contribution was mini crustless tofu quiches from Fat Free Vegan Kitchen. I got up early this morning to try this recipe out, and I thought they turned out well, nice and light and a perfect compliment to the waffles. In addition to mushrooms and red peppers, I also added some bakin bits. Here they are garnished with some fresh chives:





My only mistake I think was leaving them in the muffin pan while I went to take a shower. When I came back there was a lot of moisture built up in the pan (it's been insanely humid here the past few days), making it difficult to remove the quiches. But they were still tasty, everyone tried them and gobbled them up. Next time I think I will try different veggie combinations and maybe making a big quiche in a pie crust, the possibilities are endless!


Another quick breakfast this week, my favorite smoothie. Half a banana, frozen strawberries and mangos, ground flax seeds, a spoonful of peanut butter, and plenty of vanilla soymilk. Couldn't help but show it off in my VeganDish mug....



And finally, a yummy dinner from this past week that we tried for the first time, Quinoa Hummus Casserole from Vive Le Vegan. The roasted vegetables (zucchini, red pepper, fennel)were perfectly cooked and the creamy hummus paired with the quinoa made for a protein-packed meal. Another recipe that has lots of variations, different kinds of grains, different kinds of hummus, and an endless number of vegetables to top it off with.



8 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

what a great breakfast - that's terrific that you were able to share it with family. oh and that smoothie cup looks awfully familiar to me.... ;0)

bazu said...

How cool that your mom made waffles- and they look so delicious! And those mini-quiches look excellent- I've been meanig to try them, tofu quiches are so good. Your smoothie looks so perfect and fluffy- no wonder breakfast is my favorite meal of the day.

Anonymous said...

they look so pretty :) it's wonderful that you can enjoy such vegan goodies with your family!

Anonymous said...

absolutely stunning! I love the mug, too.

Unknown said...

Mmmm, your vegan quiches look really good!

vko said...

Okay - I need to try those mini-quiches. What a nice breakfast with your family!

Sheree' said...

Everything looks wonderful. Our family just loves Susan's quiches. My daughter bought me those little silicone muffin tins and they are amazing! You should put them on your wedding registry. :o)

I have to try that casserole. It really looks good.

KleoPatra said...

What a sweet mom you have. I love the VEGAN DISH mug, too. The smoothie sounds excellent tho it's hard to compete with the photogenic food you show here. It all looks SOOOOOOO freakin' good!!

i love the cute crustless tofu quiches. Adorable and good for you. Nice garnish, too.

That casserole is "da bomb" - wow. Chock full o'great stuff there.