Thursday, April 19, 2007

Chick-Fil-A: Don't You Just Hate Em??

Alright, so I promise this will be my last post title that carries a tune with it (at least for the rest of the month).

As I was driving on the freeway the other week, a particular billboard in the sea of advertisements and driving distractions caught my eye and made me roll my eyes in disgust. After searching "the google" for an image to document the irony of their message with no luck, I set out on my mission to take my own picture.....a tougher task than it may sound with weaving around sideroads and finding the right angle for the shot!

Chick-Fil-A is known for their "Eat More Chikin" campaign, somehow insinuating that it is more "compassionate" and certainly better for you than beef. But this sign takes it too far....."Shakes: the perfect chikin washr downr". This advertisement just reinforces the myth that dairy products are not cruel, and that cows somehow live happy lives out on the pasture, eating green grass and frolicking in the open fields with their baby calves. I don't think that many Americans realize the torture that is involved with every glass of milk or slice of cheese. Not only do the dairy cows spend more years than the average beef cow getting tortured, but they meet the same fate (slaughter) and end up in Chick-Fil-A's fast food competition chains as hamburgers. And of course, their calves are sent to veal farms. I wouldn't be surprised if the National Dairy Council sponsored this ad.

To make matters even more ironic....this past weekend I helped out with our local Society of PEACE group to hand out veg literature at an Earth Day Festival. And what do you know, Chick-Fil-A was a sponsor of the event!!! That made it even more important for us to get our message out to the public.

On a less serious note, last night we used some more of the veggeroni on a personal pizza. I used the Vegan Lunch Box recipe for the whole wheat crust and her Sneaky Momma's Tomato Sauce (with some additional veggies added; zucchini, mushrooms....this sauce is awesome). Topped the pizza with spinach, artichoke hearts, mushrooms, red pepper, sun-dried tomatoes, broccoli, and some nutritional yeast. I love veggie pizzas. I remember not liking them as a kid and I now wonder why. The best part is that I halve the recipe, enough to make two pizzas for dinner for us and then I use the rest to make two calzones to take to work for lunches.

1 comment:

vko said...

Oh, that dairy stuff makes me mad!!!!
I post about dairy in some long-winded post about a photo shoot, but dairy is so upsetting to me that it always sneaks into my posts- just like that Chick-Fil-A.