Friday, May 9, 2008

Houston Vegans Celebrate!

This past weekend, Houstonian vegans gathered to celebrate two milestones..... the 6th birthday of the Go Vegan Texas radio show and the opening of a new all vegan restaurant, World Veggie Cuisine. **Update 06-06-08 Sad to report that World Veggie Cuisine is no longer open** First, the food. The buffet was huge, about half raw items, and included cajun, ethiopian, and comfort food. On my plate below I have bbq seitan, lentils with injera, potato salad, sprout salad, chickn empanada, green salad, and black beans. This wasn't even close to everything that was served. The food was delicious, and I think my favorite was the potato salad. It's very exciting to have another vegan option for dining out!

After dinner, we honored the founders and hosts of Go Vegan Texas, including Janice Blue (pictured below), Shirley Wilkes-Johnson, Jerrilyn Halbert, and Kristen Lee Ohanyan, as well as their longtime sound engineer Mark McGuire. They told the stories of how the show began, challenges over the years, and hope for the future. We are so lucky to have an all vegan radio program here in Houston!
We also had a raffle to raise money for Society of PEACE. The prize? A vegan cake that I baked and decorated. Almond torte with a strawberry mousse and fresh strawberry filling and frosted with an almond buttercream. The raffle raised over $50!
Here is a close-up of my buttercream flowers (yellow chrysanthemums and pink rose) in my basketweave "basket" with a rope border. This is probably my best rose to date! I've had some issues with my icing being the right consistency. But with my new stand mixer (thanks honey!), things seem to be improving. Oh, and since several of you asked how I got the embroidered affect; it was easy! Simply ice your cake smooth then wait approximately 10-15 minutes for the icing to crust over. Then, take a paper towel (this is where the print comes from, so they will vary by brand) and a fondant smoother (or your hand) and essentially "iron" your cake.
Since the cake was being raffled off, I wanted to sneak a taste of my creation. So using the leftover cake after leveling, I made my own little mini cake. The mousse came out kind of runny, but it was still delicious! And as it turns out, I got to have another taste, since the person who won the raffle graciously shared the cake with everyone after the dinner. Aren't vegans nice?
I hope you're not sick of seeing pictures of cakes, because there's another few headed your way soon. That, and pictures of the art car! The parade rolls tomorrow! Expect a full report by Monday....

28 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Wow, those two milestones DEFINITELY deserve to be celebrated - looks like fun!

I will NEVER get sick of seeing cakes - especially since your decorating skills are impeccable!! Fabulous!!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Alicia said...

The cake looks so pretty! And I love the fact that you ironed it, so creative!
I wish I had a couple of vegan restaurants to go to...

megan said...

Vegan...comfort food...buffet?
We really need to get ourselves down to Houston!

By the way, that cake is amazing! Your skills have inspired me to look for a cake decorating class to take this summer.

Alicia said...

I can't believe you've been in Darmstadt. How cool is that coincidence? Was it a long time ago? Well, you know your way if you want to come visit!

Anonymous said...

You're so involved in the vegan community! It's truly inspiring. The food looks fantastic!! =)

Anonymous said...

As I mentioned before, that is a beautiful cake! You can never have too many photos of cake. I am excited to see your post about the parade! Finally, the unveiling of the Art Car!

Bianca said...

First of all, anyone who gets sick of cake pictures is insane...keep 'em comin'.

And that World Cuisine place sounds awesome. I have friends in Houston, so I may need to take a road trip soon!

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Hooray for new restaurants, vegan radio, & most of all beautiful vegan cake!

Ashasarala said...

Wow! That's a LOT of food! That would have taken me at least three sittings to finish. Unless I was famished. Then I'd probably finish it and kick myself for it immediately after.

Your cake looks incredible. I'm so jealous! I wish there were cake decorating classes in my neck of the woods, but, alas, there are none to be found at the present.

I will live vicariously though your awesome talent in the meantime. :)

Anonymous said...

Check out those piping skills! The cake really looks great, and it's wonderful that you raffled it off for a deserving cause. :)

Anonymous said...

Never sick of seeing cakes, keep 'em coming!

Anonymous said...

Love your cake. It is gorgeous!
MOM

Anonymous said...

That buffet sounds wonderful--everything looks great. Your cake, though, is spectacular--you obviously excel at decorating! And, 'tired of looking at cakes'? No such thing!!

Animal-Friendly said...

Your meal at World Veggie Cuisine looks great! It seems to be a little bit of everything, which must be awesome to have all in one restaurant.

Oh my- your cake!!! Your decorating skills have me in awe- it's so pretty! Before I read that they were made of frosting, I honestly believed that the flowers on top were real. And your piece of cake looks delicious. How did you make the strawberry filling?

Ruby Red said...

I'm definitely not sick of seeing pictures of your cakes, especially because they keep getting better and better! Almond torte with almond buttercream?! Wow, wow, wow. I think it's cool that your handiwork was the raffle prize!

The first thing I saw when your blog came up on my screen was the injera bread - Ethiopian food is my favorite! You are a lucky, lucky thing to have a new vegan restaraunt and a vegan radio show in Houston. :)

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Sick of seeing your gorgeously-decorated vegan cakes?! I think not! Keep 'em coming. And why oh why did my parents decide, many years ago, to move our family to Dallas, not Houston?! (Or Austin, for that matter!) I especially love the idea of Ethiopian at a buffet, since every time I get Ethiopian food, I’m always left wishing they’d served bigger portions of each item (you get a lot of injera when you order a combo plate, but sadly, they only give you a little dollop of each food).

aTxVegn said...

Another beautiful cake, Amanda! World Veggie Cuisine sounds like a great new place to eat.

bazu said...

wow- that pretty much sounds like my idea of the perfect restaurant! If it was near me, I'd want to go all the time!

And that cake is beautiful- I love seeing your decorating skills!

Wes said...

That cake tasted so good & you have serious frosting skills! Nice seeing you again.

DJ said...

That cake looks delicious - I am in awe of your icing!

Anonymous said...

Your cake is just amazing looking! I don't know how you do it! I would love to be able to do something so beautiful.
And what a food spread! I so wish I had that sort of community here!

Theresa said...

Oh my god that cake! And that buffet! Houston vegans are so lucky!

Cakespy said...

Am I sick of pictures of cake...surely you jest!! :-) This one looks simply gorgeous!

Erin said...

It is so cool that you're taking a cake decorating class. It's showing, this strawberry cake is just beautiful. Keep up the good work, and know that we will never tire of pretty cake pictures!

Anonymous said...

Wow, you have a clear talent for cakes!! So pretty :) I've always wanted to work with fondant but haven't worked up the nerve yet. Your flowers are beautiful.

Mari Soulforce said...

Wow! I didn't know about that cake. It makes me even sadder that I could not make it that night to see it in person. Great online pic though! What a lovely decorator you are! The more I see, the more I am in awe of your talent!

Anonymous said...

I sooo wish I was there. Thank you for your supoprt and I hope one day I can learn to bake half as good as you!!!!!! You Rock

Staci